Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday's in Taiwan: Riverside Bikepath

Taipei has been working on making green space throughout the city. I'm loving that you can find pocket parks in small neighborhoods that have grass and trees.  But, I love this bike path and the parks that are along it. This section is just about a ten minute bike ride from our apartment.  Depending on where you want to go, you can bike to Danshui or to Xindian.  And the path is paved the entire way! But, take note that on the weekends it has heavy traffic, so the best time is during the week when everyone else is at work and school.
But if you are thinking..."I don't own a bike!" No worries, you can rent them.  There is a place at the entrance near the waterpark (just under the bridge!). They also have an air pressure tank, so if you need to put air in those tires, also, no problem. 
One day during this Chinese New Year we hit the bike path. It was great. The weather was perfect. We didn't go all the way to Danshui,  but stopped at a little park just past Qing Nian Gong Yuan. Sorry, I've forgotten the name, but great little zip line and small sand pit. Bonus points was that there was NOT that many other kids there, so no long lines to wait in for the zip line. 
Notice the short sleeves. We actual wish we had put on shorts.
It was that warm!
Lots of green space to run and roll around in!
Okay, maybe not that green, but remember winter
is just ending at this time. 

Or to take a nap break in.
Local guy taking a break. Notice no shoes!
Quite a few were fishing.
And the view that we had...Taipei 101!

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm not sure which post I'm commenting on...I hope that you and your family are well and safe. I can't remember exactly where you live in Asia...I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

MaDonna Maurer said...

Thanks Sharon! We are in Taipei, Taiwan. We had a tsunami warning yesterday, but it was lifted. It did no damage to our little island, which we are thankful for.
Just continuing to pray for friends in Japan.

Unknown said...

Hi, MaDonna,
Haven't seen you at school for a long time. How are you? These are beautiful photos of Taiwan. Can I link them on my facebook, so that my Taiwanese friends in US can see them. Taipei has been changed a lot. Thanks.

MaDonna Maurer said...

Feel free to post them on your FB page. Thanks for asking.
I've only lived here 5 years, so I haven't really seen the changes, but my husband grew up in Taichung. He has told me how much everything has changed. =)