Thursday, October 6, 2011

How Will You Honor Steve Jobs?

Steve Jobs died today.

I'm sure you have heard the news. It is probably the highest buzz on the social media right now. Everyone is in shock. Many want to pay tribute by posting his quotes, writing about him and his life work, and even going out to buy 1 or 2 iPhones in his honor.

The last one bothers me.

Who needs two iPhones? Really?

Okay, I'm right up there with thankfulness on the blessings of having any of Apple's i(whatever). The iPad has been really helpful with our daughter with special needs. She has a new way of communicating that is affordable to us. I could go on and tell you all the wonderful things that the i(fill in the blank) has been to us personally, but that is not what this is about.

When I read about people going out to buy an iPhone in his honor, I couldn't help but wonder if he'd really be pleased with that. From that question I wondered about what charity he was passionate about. I was surprised to find that he doesn't publicly donate. My mouth dropped, but I did some more digging, so don't judge yet because here is what I did find:
1. It's possible that he donated anonymously. His wife is on boards of a few nonprofit organizations. You can read more about that in this article by Andrew Ross Solkin.
2. Bono argued in a letter to the editor that Steve Jobs did give through Product Red. You can read about that in this article here.
3. Apple is a part of Product Red. Portions of all (Product)RED special edition iPod Nanos and iTune cards are given to Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa.  For more information on this part of Apple giving click here.

So, Steve Jobs did give.
So, back to my question of "Would he be pleased with people buying his products in honor of him?"

I'm not convinced that he would. From reading articles about him, I've gathered that he would love for you to buy the products to help you in your work and life, but not to honor him.
So, I'm challenging you with this: Wouldn't it be better to buy an i(fill in the blank) for someone that really needs it? Maybe a low income school could use a few iPads in the special ed department. Or maybe a community center could use some to help draw kids off of the streets. These are seriously at the top of my head and may seem lame, but think outside the box. Who could use one? If you don't have any ideas, there is an organization called Computers with Causes. Yes, you can donate a used or new iPad to them.

My point? Why honor someone by buying for yourself? Why not honor someone buy buying for someone that maybe wouldn't be able to buy it in the first place. (and I'm not talking about your 1-year old child, either. *grinning*)

RIP Steve Jobs!
Thanks for giving to the workplace, to entertainment, to the family, and to schools!

3 comments:

Pam Rohde said...

I think you are right! It isn't that honoring to buy something for yourself really. However, even though Steve Jobs did amazing things to change the world I am not sure I want to honor him at all. I think honor is reserved for those who loved Jesus and did something for the kingdom of God. It is a sad loss for sure and I have the deepest respect for what his family is going through. We own too much i(whatever) ourselves. I LOVE what you have written though so take no offense please.

MaDonna said...

No offense taken. I'm not really honoring him either, as I just don't do that sort of thing...this was more of a reaction, if you have it, towards what I was seeing on social media of what others were doing.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Really good points, MaDonna. I don't own an i(anything), so I'd be a happy recipient if anyone wants to make a donation. Just kidding! :)

Amy