Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WiP...and Retreats

A photo of The Thinker by Rodin located at the...Image via Wikipedia

L-WiP (Life Work in Progress):
This past weekend I went on a ladies retreat. It was great, but I came away thinking this, "Why do we call it a retreat? It felt more like a girl slumber party with tissue boxes!" I say that because I was wiped out from staying up late and getting up early.
So I looked up the definition of retreat here.
Here's what I found(italicized): My humorous thoughts in normal print.

1. a (1) : an act or process of withdrawing especially from what is difficult, dangerous, or disagreeable (2) : the process of receding from a position or state attained (1) : the usually forced withdrawal of troops from an enemy or from an advanced position (2) : a signal for retreating(1) : a signal given by bugle at the beginning of a military flag-lowering ceremony (2) : a military flag-lowering ceremony
My thoughts: Hmm, living with young children can sometimes be disagreeable and difficult. So, a retreat from that helps to get a new perspective. Yeah, I can relate. 
I didn't feel like I was in a military situation, but again sometimes the apartment feels like a battle..."fighting" for the hearts of the young, training them up to be godly adults...but, with God no retreating is necessary for this. Prayer is the answer for that. But, then again maybe a mini retreat of prayer to refocus with God isn't a bad idea.
2
: a place of privacy or safety : refuge
My thoughts: Privacy...well, I shared a room with two other ladies. But, they were wonderful so not complaining, just saying that privacy wasn't there. But, because I'm a processor I need to take an extra day to just process. Because coming home to the family isn't the place to process...know what I mean?
3
: a period of group withdrawal for prayer, meditation, study, or instruction under a director
My thoughts: Yep, this is what we did. The speaker shared from her heart what God has been teaching her this past year. Valleys: Doubt, Decision, and Delay.  I related. I cried. I'm still processing. God has us in the Valley of Delay, and boy does He have me on my toes. Can anyone relate with me? Just waiting on some answers....but the best quote from the weekend was this: "There is no waste in the waiting."  


So, I guess by definition #3, I did attend a retreat. But, though it wasn't restful it was refreshing and SO much fun! 


WiP (Work in Progress):
I did take my laptop this weekend to the retreat. I wanted to work on some of my older manuscripts. I pulled them up and edited a few. It was good to look at some writing that I did a few years ago. To see that I have improved in the craft. Thank goodness!
As for the novel, I started editing it again. I'm only on chapter three, as I need to re-write a bit. I added a "girlfriend" in earlier, so there was some transition in the storyline. But, it was great to feel excited about this piece again.
For fun, I have a Flash Fiction piece stirring in my head that I might submit to WOW's Spring 2011 Contest.

?4U:  What are your thoughts on retreats?  Do you have a creative new name to give it?
And, for those of you who write, how's it going? Keeping up with those goals?


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I bet you were tired at the retreat, after having Uwe gone for awhile and all the amazing things you do -- ie. HOMESCHOOLING! Sometimes a good cry with friends is a retreat all on its own. I hope your processing goes well, my friend. Sounds like this get-away was just what the doctor ordered. :)

Amy

MaDonna Maurer said...

Thanks Amy!
I'm still catching up at home from it. But, it was so worth going to!